Pillars of Pine

Pillars of Pine

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Hand of God


Now here’s something I’m not going to miss when we move:  Dirt Roads!

In all seriousness, today nearly saw the end of all my worries.  It had been raining, and as we drove into town along our dirt roads, our bus hit a soft spot, and was sent zig-zagging out of control for about 250 metres.

We slid directly for a clump of trees, and just as we were about to hit, the bus scooted off to the other side of the road, straight for another tree.  But somehow, we again managed to miss that one, and once again, the bus slid over to the right side of the road, heading yet again for another bunch. Twice the bus was completely sideways.

All the time, I was praying (loudly) for heavenly protection, and Bill was silently at the wheel, keeping as calm as possible, correcting the steering wherever he could.  I truly thought, though, that this ‘was it’, and I remember at one point, as we plummeted directly towards one tree, that all I could think of was my orphaned children. 

And yet, somehow, we managed to not only survive, but to miss everything – every tree, every curb, and every dry spot that would have otherwise made controlling the vehicle impossible.  We did take one branch off of the middle tree, but apart from that, our harrowing ride came to an end at the end of the hill, when we calmly and slowly turned the corner.  At that point, my husband turned to me and simply said, ‘Good Prayer’.  Later, we went back to view the skid marks - and were absolutely amazed at how close we had come to not only the trees, but to the edge of the road, where each time, somehow, the bus had missed the edge by a hair's whisker, and changed direction.

Do you believe in miracles?  I do.

Linda

3 comments:

Legolas said...

WOW!!!!!

Kelly Casanova said...

Thank God :) He looks after us so well, and YES, I do believe in miracles!

Therese said...

Absolutely I do believe in miracles. Thank goodness you are all safe.