Pillars of Pine

Pillars of Pine

Friday, May 11, 2012

Old Age is Not So Grand

This week proved to be a bit of a 'toughie'.

My Mum had to go to Adelaide for an eye operation - they needed to reduce the pressure in her eye, otherwise, it could lead to blindness.  We waited to hear how it all went, and as far as we know, it was a success.

However, my Mum is suffering more and more with Alzheimer's Disease, and making the trip, having and operation, etc.  seems to have made things worse in that area.  My poor Mum is confused, contstanly forgetting things, names, etc., and has even begun to forget the names of family members.

She's back here now, but still in hospital, and today they rang to ask me if I could go in, as there was a problem, and Mum was very upset.  By the time I arrived, things had calmed down, and Mum had agreed to stay on in the hospital for a week or two.

The main problem being that she is so determined that 'all is well', but it is becoming increasingly obvious that all is not well, and I fear I'm very close to having to play the role of the 'evil daughter', and put my foot down with her, for her own safety.  This may include taking away her car keys and putting her into an Old Folks' Home.  This I have avoided for as long as possible, but, it seems the time may be here. 

It's not going to be easy, and I feel there are some very tough times ahead.  She is one stubborn lady when she wants to be.  It's certainly a strain for us, and it's proving to take a lot of time out of our days, but, it must be so much more difficult for her.

At least for the time she is safe in hospital, and I can take the next week or so to research, pray and decide what our next step will be.

Please pray as we work through it all - Old Age is supposed to be your Golden Years, when you can put your feet up and relax, but for many, Old Age is just not 'Golden' at all.

Linda.

No comments: