Pillars of Pine

Pillars of Pine

Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Book Love

My good friend Erin from Seven Litte Australians has tagged me for a Meme. This one is to share some of my favourite books - from childhood, as well as my favourite novels and read-alouds.

There are so many to choose from! As a child, I loved to read, however, as an adult, I find my reading patterns changed from novels to 'how to homeschool' books, and more factual readings.

Fortunately, though, in recent years I have once again discovered the fascinating world of fiction. Although my time is limited, I have managed to re-discover old friends, and find some new ones in the past couple of years. Here are some of my favourites:

Favourite Books of My Childhood
Magic Faraway Tree & sequels - Enid Blyton
The Wishing Chair & sequel - Enid Blyton
Heidi - Johanna Spyri
Little Women- Louisa May Alcott
Little House on the Prairie (and other books in the series) - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Seven Little Australians - Ethel Turner

Picture Books:
The Poky Little Puppy
The Saggy, Baggy Elephant
The Easter Bunny (or something like that - can't quite remember the exact title!)


Favourite Books I Have Read Aloud to My Children

John of the Sirius and of Sydney Cove - Doris Chadwick
Peter Rabbit - Beatrix Potter
Winnie-the-Pooh - AA Milne
The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
The Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
The Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingall Wilder
The Restless Flame - Louis de Wohl
Adam of the Road - Elizabeth Janet Gray
The Door in the Wall - Marguerite de Angeli
St Patrick's Summer - Marigold Hunt
And, many of the picture books from the 'Catholic Mosaic' booklist - in particular,
The Little Catepillar who Came to Church,
Pascual and the Kitchen Angels, and
The Squire and the Scroll.
Also anything else by Tomie dePaola!

Books I'm Reading Aloud at the Moment
The Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis.
This year, we have completed 5 of the 7 books. It is our goal to read all 7 books before the year is out.

Favourite Novels I have Read
Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
Eragon - Christopher Paolini
Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Novels I have Recently Enjoyed
Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paolini

Novels I am Currently Reading
The Two Towers (I'm determined - I WILL make it through all of Lord of the Rings ONE DAY!)

Novels I'd Like to Read
The rest of The Lord of the Rings,
The Once and Future King - T H White
and I'm very much looking forward to the final instalment of The Inheritance Cycle.



Naturally, there are many more that could be added to the list!

Thanks, Erin!

Linda.

No comments: