Pillars of Pine

Pillars of Pine

Sunday, July 3, 2011

The One & All Sailing Ship


As you know, I have several children who often go 'a-sailing' on the One & All . But it seems, no more.

Last Friday, the One & All ceased operations, due to lack of Government funding. We are devastated! I don't know yet who we can contact about it all, but one person who may be able to help is Leon Byner, who runs a radio talk-show in Adelaide.

If you are so inclined, please write or call him, or write to your local member of parliament.

I can tell you I was a little nervous the first time I sent my teens off on the ship 20 months ago - but it has turned out to be a most valuable, wonderful, experience for them. My son recently spent several weeks on the ship as a volunteer, and the skills he has learned are just incredible.

How the government can deny funding for such a worthwhile endeavour, I just cannot understand. Besides offering trainee voyages for the youth, in the past year, they have had onboard groups from Hong Kong, Singapore, Outback Australia (many of whom had never even seen the ocean), and even a group from Camp Quality. While there are a few paid employees (now out work), the ship is also run by a host of volunteer workers.


Anyway, if you are interested in voicing your concerns, please contact Leon Byner at:

Phone: 08-8223-0000
Email: onair@fiveaa.com.au



Thankyou!


Linda.

No comments: