Pillars of Pine

Pillars of Pine

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Catholic Church, or Roman Catholic Church?

Often, I find myself drawn into theological discussions - sometimes with Catholics, but more often, with anti-Catholics. And usually in those discussions, the anti-Catholic will use the term 'Roman Catholic Church'.

However, did you know that the correct title is not the RCC, but rather, it is simply the 'Catholic Church'. In fact, the term 'Roman Catholic Church' was first introduced by Protestants, in an attempt to portray it as something other than the 'Catholic Church' as professed in the Apostles' Creed.

For a full article on the matter, please see:

How did the Catholic Church get its name? at:

http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/churb3.htm


And, remember, the correct title is the 'Catholic Church'. Adding the term 'Roman' seems to create an idea that the Church somehow stems from Ancient Rome, so it is important to use the correct name at all times.


Linda.

1 comment:

Marina said...

Wow! I had no idea! I'd been told that "Roman" was a term used for those who prefer the Latin rite. Thanks for posting this - I love to learn so I can get things right!